Monday, December 10, 2007

Retainers

Just when I thought I'm done, I have to wear retainers! I picked up my retainers at the Ortho's today. The plastic parts are fuschia color...no sparkles. When I open my mouth wide, you can see the fuschia color. It's a good thing that I didn't get blue ones!! The retainers basically are these plastic molds with wires across. They are custom-fitted and molded to the curvature of the mouth. I have to wear these little suckers for 20 hours a day, for 6 months! Yep, it's ALL THE TIME except for eating and brushing. I am not used to them because my speech is now "slurred" and I can't pronounce certain words. I think it's worse than braces since I can't speak right with them on. 6 months of this, and then my Ortho will "see from there." I may or may not be downgraded to part time wear after 6 months. There is basically no difference between wearing retainers than braces - it looks a little bit better and there is always an option of taking them off. But other than that, they are pretty much the same... annoying.

Next appt: Feb 12, 2008