Saturday, October 01, 2005

Intro

I'm dedicating this website to share my experience, feelings, emotions with others about my journey for a perfect smile. I won't include my other daily activities because I have a separate weblog for that. This website will solely discuss my experience with braces and eventually, with jaw surgery.

I think I'm already 4 months too late in starting this weblog, but I guess it's better late than never. So everything started when I turned 30 years old this past May. I don't know what it is about turning 30 that made me realize that I needed to do something about things I am unhappy with. One of the things that has plagued my life so far has been my ugly teeth. I grew up with extremely low self-esteem because I have bad teeth and an ugly smile. I visited an orthrodontist when I was 12 or 13, but my parents didn't have the money to pay for the braces. I went again when I was 25 and found out that my situation involves more than just braces, it requires jaw surgery as well. My lower jaw protrudes out (imagine Jay Leno) because it is overgrown. I have what professionals call a Class III malocclusion (aka underbite). My underbite was so severe that braces alone can not correct the problem. Cost to this surgery: 20 grand. Just imagine that. So, no, I didn't have the money to do any of that. So getting braces was put to the back burner but it never escaped my mind.

So, fast forward to this year, after my 30th birthday, I felt a sudden urge to fix my teeth. I figure that if I don't do it this year then I should just shut up, move on, and never think about it again. So my saga started back in June when I made my first initial consultation with an orthodontist. Again, same old story, in addition to the braces, I would also need a jaw surgery to move my lower jaw back into alignment with the upper jaw. What was different this time which gave me a little positive push was the fact that my health plan at Kaiser covered the jaw surgery procedure. I wouldn't have to pay anything for the surgery. I would need to wear braces for 1 year and then have the surgery. Then braces for another year. 2 years. That's my timeline for the perfect smile.

Then things began to move along although very slowly. I got impressions and X-rays done. I met with the Kaiser physicians, first with my primary care doctor to get a referral, and then with the oral surgeon. I extracted one of my upper molars (wisdom tooth) and had to let everything heal. Then I waited for the Kaiser authorization to go through. And then FINALLY, after 3 months since the initial visit, I had my braces put on!! During this process, I was very frustrated.

I chose clear ceramic brackets for my upper teeth and metal for my lower teeth. My orthro suggested that I use metal for my lower because they are more secure and stable, since I will eventually need surgery for my lower jaw. There is less chance of the brackets breaking. It's been 15 days since I had my braces on. I would say, the first 5 days were the hardest. My teeth were sore and it was very difficult for me to bite and chew my food. I mostly ate soft foods. I also had to brush my teeth every time I eat. The most annoying thing was that the metals keep on scraping against the inside walls of my mouth. It was very irritating. For the most part, I try to just 'swallow' and endure the discomfort because I am just too excited, that after so many years, I finally made getting braces a reality. Majority of the scraping is gone because my mouth has already adapted to the braces getting there. My archwire is already straightening out and my next adjustment is in 4 weeks. I'll post some "before" pictures next time.