Tuesday, September 26, 2006

December 1, 2006

There is something new on my weblog's header. That is, there is a countdown ticker to my surgery date. It is (drumroll, please) Friday, December 1, 2006. I don't think the surgery date has really sunk in yet because I haven't started to get anxiety or panic attacks. Couldn't believe that there is something solid and that, after 31 years, this is really going to happen.

Continuing from my previous post, after speaking to my ortho, he confirmed that I am now ready for surgery. I then consequently scheduled an appointment and went in for a consultation with my surgeon at Kaiser today. I brought in my models, which looked OK, but my teeth are still not really aligned. The surgeon looked at my model and then talked to me a little bit about the surgery. I will have to get both upper and lower surgery, which means 1 night hospital stay. My teeth will be wired shut for 15-21 days, and I won't be able to talk nor eat. Liquid diets only. I can't lift anything more than 5 lbs. It sounded really serious, but all this time, the surgeon spoke of the surgery as something really casual ... kinda like "oh, you'll do fine," or "get over it." Of course, he's not going to be the one dealing with the pain and recovery afterwards!

The nurse then came in and asked if Friday, December 1 is OK. If not, the date will have to be pushed out until next year. So I said Ok, December 1 it is. She also worked out some pre-surgurical appointments for me, which is the Tuesday of the same week, November 28. This day will be comprised of 3 appointments for me, which includes (1) physical examinations, blood work, etc, (2) a class about after-surgery care, and (3) consultation with the surgeon. It will be a whole-day event.

So I will out of the office for 6 weeks, probably working from work the last 2 weeks. I'll be very bored at home I think, especially if I can't eat anything so I'll be very physically weak. I don't want to think about it too much, but it is a very BIG deal! I think when the time comes closer, I will get anxiety attacks! Wish me lukck!!