Sunday, December 10, 2006

A Few of my Favorite Things

Now being 9 days post-op, I've compiled a list of a few of my favorite things that helped me survive these first 9 days (in no particular order):

1. Syringes
There is some controversy about the use of syringes. Some people say don't use it because the pressure of the liquid can in fact hurt the incisions. Just don't push the syringe down so fast!! Duh!! I think using syringes during the first couple of days work like wonder. They are small so you don't have to open your mouth too wide. Plus, there is complete control over the amount of liquid the syringe expenses. Therefore, minimizing the likelihood of spills and choking. I love this thing! It really saved me!

2. Ice Packs
These things, as annoying and awkward as they are, work. They help reduce swelling. They also help maintain my head position when I sleep. With swollen cheeks, just imagine what would happen if my head fell to the left or right during my sleep. Ouch!

3. Nasal Sprays
I think back the number of times that I thought I would die because I couldn't breathe and then with a few sprays, my nasal passages clear up instantenously. There is blood clogs inside the nose and because the sinuses were impacted during the surgery, there will be congestion. I remember having a few panic attacks when I can't seem to get enough air through my nose. These things work!! I also bought Ocean's Spray, which is a saline-based solution, non-medicated, which allows frequent use.

4. My laptop
Boy, if I don't die of pain first, I would have die of bordem if I don't have my laptop! I depend on this machine every hour during my awake hours. Whether it is used to blog, or to chat, or to browse the internet, I love my laptop!!

5. Camera
It's always like to document your progress and see the improvements day to day. I have pictures of myself every day since surgery. It's nice to know that I've come a long way!!