Saturday, December 23, 2006

Unwired!

I went to see my OS yesterday to get my wires out. My jaws have been wired together ever since my surgery so I was a bit nervous about how my jaws would hold up together without the wires. As much as I hated to be wired shut, I have grown to be dependent on them. They have given me assurance that they will hold up my jaws correctly.

The wires were clipped off and my plastic splint removed. The process took over 2 minutes and was pain-free. Feeling after wired removed: WEIRD. It's really hard to describe it, but to finally feel my front teeth touch each other on their own after some 31 years was just ODD. My jaws were sore and tender. The OS gave me a toothbrush and mouth wash to clean my teeth. I was anxious to finally brush the insides of my teeth, but to my surprise, I couldn't do it! I was unable to open my mouth more than say maybe 5 mm. I tried to stick the toothbrush into my mouth, but I could barely fit it in without feeling pain (that's how wide I could open my mouth). I did the best I could with the brushing but probably didn't do a very good job. The incision areas inside began to hurt. My jaws felt tired and weak.

My ortho didn't put many hooks on my teeth so there was a limited choice of where the guiding elastics could go. My OS had to put the elastics on my surgical hooks (which were on my canines). However, my lower left hook was attached to a loose bracket! I didn't even know I had a loose bracket and didn't know when it actually came off. But I still have to use that hook regardless. I quickly made an emergency appointment with my orthodontist for next week. But because of the holidays, I won't be able to go until next Thursday, Dec 28.

I tried to eat some well cut-up soup noodles at a Vietnamese restaurant the same day. Possible, but of course with lots of difficulty. I eventually gave up because it took a long time. I ended up drinking a bottle of Chocolate Milk instead. I was able to eat mashed potatoes with lots of gravy at night. For the most part, I am able to get the food inside my mouth, but can't get the food down my throat without pushing it down with some sort of liquid. It's still tough to eat. A bit better than being on a liquid diet since I get to eat foods with a little more substance. But it's still a challenge. My jaws and the incision areas remain sore and "tired."

My speech has improved dramatically. It's still not 100% but at least people understand me now! I am able to speak without people giving me a puzzled look.

I've posted my before and after pictures below!


5 days before Surgery (front) 18 days affter Surgery (front)


5 days before Surgery (right) 18 days affter Surgery (right)

Do I look different?? I am still a bit swollen on the cheeks so I look like I still have my baby fat!

Happy Holidays!