Friday, January 05, 2007

5 weeks Post-op

Today is 5-weeks since my jaw surgery. I've included a picture I took today to mark the occasion. I'm still tight and a bit swollen on my left side (right side on the picture). I've been staring at the mirror at least 10 times a day. I don't know if I've learned to like my new look yet. I don't hate it, but I don't know if I like it yet. Believe me, I get my valleys and peaks once in a while when I look at myself. It's hard on the psyche. Maybe because I'm still swollen and part of my face look lop-sided. I think I look OK if I have my mouth closed. But once I open my mouth, I look weird...especially when I try to smile with my teeth. I look like I'm putting on a "fake" smile. It's hard to explain it but it doesn't look good. Even my husband made comments that I don't have my old "smile" anymore, which I really liked. Even though I had a huge underbite, I smiled showing only my upper teeth and was able to conceal my protruding lower jaw.

So far everyone I've seen told me that I look totally different. They all said that if they saw me on the street unexpectedly, they would not have recognized me. I know I look different. I'm actually nervous to go back to work to see everyone in my office. They will be so surprised.

2 weeks after being unwired. I am able to open my mouth quite widely now. I measure the opening very un-scientifically by seeing how far my tongue can stick out. :) I try to take it slow on the chewing. For the most part, I don't chew. I can chew noodles and soft rice if necessary. Otherwise, I don't attempt to over-exert my jaws. My bite is not the best right now either because I know many of upper and lower teeth don't fit together (hence 9 more months of braces)....

My next ortho appointment is next Thursday, Jan 11. My ortho was going to check with my OS to see if I'm ready to continue my orthodontic treatment. I would sure hope so. The earlier I re-start, the earlier I'll be done. That day will definitely be a beautiful day.