Monday, January 29, 2007

8 weeks post-op

I'm now 8 weeks post-op and would like to give you a progress update.

Appearance:
I have about 5% swelling left. It's really minor - primarily on my left side of my face (right on the picture) near my nose where the titanium plate is. The solid lump I mentioned on my previous blogs is still there and will probably be there to stay. It doesn't hurt and doesn't bother me much unless I press on that area. Even with the pressing, it doesn't hurt so I don't think I will get it removed (although it was an option). For the most part, it's unnoticeable. I really don't want to go through another surgery again!

Diet:

I've been eating a lot more foods now. I've moved up to chewable foods although I try to be careful of extremely tough foods. Just recently, I am able to eat chicken, fish balls, thin potato chips, etc. It's a lot of work to chew these foods... but I figure, if I always take the easy way out by eating only soft foods, then my jaws will never learn to chew and bite. So I'm forcing myself to work a bit -- of course, I know my limits. No calamari and beef for me yet! I've gained back about 3 lbs I think. I don't pay much attention about my weight. I just want to eat at this point!

Emotion:

I feel better now in accepting my new look although I won't say I'm 100% happy yet...maybe because I still have my braces on and they are looking more noticeable than before. The rubber bands only make it worse. I am OK with my face when my mouth is closed (i.e. the picture above). But when I talk and smile with my mouth open, it's a different story. Last week, I felt so depressed about my nose, which is now more tilted up and flatter than before. My nostrils are more noticeable, which makes my nose looks like Ms. Piggy. I think this is the one change that I HATE THE MOST. I tell myself this is not the final product yet. I'm still improving every day and will see the subtle changes in the months to come.